Marlow is located near the Little River, about 1-mile north of Farm Road 2095, and 3-miles east of Cameron in central Milam County.
According to local sources the community was called Devils Bend in the 1880s because of the gambling that took place there. The name was changed to Marlow after Ben Marlow gave land for a cemetery, a Baptist church, and a school.
In 1903 the community had a two-teacher school for 72 white students and a one-teacher school for 57 black students. The Marlow schools had been consolidated with the Cameron district by the early 1930s. A church, a business, and several houses were shown at Marlow on the 1941 county highway map. In 1990, there were 45 residents in the community.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.