Liberty Hill is an agricultural community located 10-miles northwest of Rockdale with a predominantly Negro population. It is located on Farm to Market Road No. 908.
The soil in this community is very fertile. Most farm crops thrive in this rich soil. Cattle, hogs, sheep, goats and poultry are raised in abundance.
The Springfield Baptist Church was organized in 1888 in an old log house. This church has grown greatly in the years since its founding. Lucinda Goff Haynes is the oldest member of this church at present. She gave the welcome address when the church was first organized. Many people have served in various positions in this church.
There were two schools in this community. One was called Little Two, which was on the south end of the community in the Ellison Ridge District. The other was called Big You and was close to the church in San Andres District. They were merged in the thirties. In 1940 Big You burned. The term was finished in the white schoolhouse in the San Andres District. The next year the building was moved to Liberty Hill Community where the old school had burned. It remained at this place until the school transferred to Rockdale, Texas. The children had to ride a school bus. The school was in the San Gabriel District at this time and remained in this district until they were later transferred to Thorndale, Texas.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 97)
Liberty Hill is located near Farm Road 908, about 8-miles west of Rockdale in southwestern Milam County.
A school, a church, and several scattered houses were shown at the community on the 1941 county highway map. In 1990, there were 25 residents in this community.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.