Liberty is located on Farm Road 3242, about 5-miles north of Milano in east central Milam County.
Before the Civil War it was the site of a Methodist church. Liberty had a one-teacher school with 59 students in 1903; the school was consolidated with the Milano Independent School District in 1931. A school, a church, and a few scattered houses marked the community on the 1941 county highway map. Liberty had 40 residents in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.