Hoyte, formerly known as Cone's Switch or Arcadia, is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line and U.S. Highway 190, about 6-miles southeast of Cameron in central Milam County.
Around 1900 John B. McLane gave land to the railroad for a passing track and a wood-loading spur. For a time the community was a flag stop on the rail line and had a small depot. A post office opened at Hoyte in 1904 but was discontinued in 1907. In 1941 a school and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps. Hoyte had 20 residents in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.