Hickory Grove is a rural, agricultural community located 5-miles northwest of Rockdale. It was settled by persons of German descent. Some of the earliest families of the community were Pelzels, Palmers, Dosses, Walters, von Gontens, and Storks.
There is a Catholic cemetery established there. A rural school was built and served for many years. It consolidated with the Bushdale and the Gay Hill rural schools later. When school consolidation became more popular due to bussing and more adequate financing, these two schools, Bushdale and Gay Hill, consolidated with the Rockdale School System.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 97)
Hickory Grove, located about 3-miles west of Rockdale and just off U.S. Highway 79 in southwestern Milam County, was settled by German immigrants.
A Red Cross auxiliary unit was located there in 1917-18. The 1948 county highway map showed a few scattered houses and a cemetery in the area; a 1988 map showed only the cemetery at the site.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.