Hanover is located at the intersection of Farm roads 2095 and 3242, about 10-miles southeast of Cameron in eastern Milam County.
Local sources claim that in the 1880s this location was the site of the Swedenborg Settlers Colony, an experiment in community living somewhat like La Réunion. When the venture failed, most of the participants dispersed.
Hanover, which was granted a post office in 1890, was named by Ed Authifer for his native city in Germany. The community had a gristmill and gin, a general store, and 25 residents by 1892.
In 1903 Hanover was served by the Prairie Point schools, which had two teachers for 69 white students and two teachers for 89 black students. The schools were consolidated with the Liberty school district in 1920 and with the Milano school district in 1931. The Hanover post office was discontinued in 1906. A church and a business at the community were marked on 1988 county highway maps, and 27 residents were reported in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.