Hamilton Chapel is a thickly settled rural, agricultural community 3-miles southwest of Rockdale. The land was purchased from land grants made during the Republic of Texas. Established were a school, a church, a cemetery, and a voting precinct. It was named Hamilton Chapel for John W. Hamilton.
Deed records dated January 17, 1877 show that W. A. Hamilton conveyed to heirs of John W. Hamilton one acre of land for a Methodist Church. This chapel was used for a church and a one- teacher school.
Later it became a two-teacher school from grade one through nine. The school was consolidated with the Rockdale Public Schools in 1939.
The voting precinct dates back to 1886 and was also transferred to Rockdale in 1939. The cemetery at this location has grave stones dated as early as 1869.
Private first class Hicks R. Carlyle, 141st Infantry, 36th Division, World War I, one of the two Carlyle brothers for whom the American Legion Carlyle Post in Rockdale was named, is buried in the cemetery. The brothers were killed in the same battle on October 8, 1918. The body of Corporal James W. Carlyle was not recovered for burial.
Most of this land has changed ownership many times and much of it now belongs to McAlester Fuel Company.
The Rockdale Country Club is located about 1-miles south of the cemetery.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 97)
Hamilton Chapel, also called Hamilton, was located on Farm Road 2116, about 3-miles southwest of Rockdale in southern Milam County.
It became a voting precinct in 1886 and was named for J. Hamilton, who gave land for a school. In 1903 Hamilton Chapel had one teacher each for 14 black students and 63 white. The Hamilton Chapel schools were consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949. No evidence of the Hamilton Chapel community was shown on the 1988 county highway map.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.