Gay Hill is a thriving community located 7-miles west of Rockdale on Highway 79. The early settlers of this community were mostly of German descent: namely, John Timmerman, Sr., George Doss, Sr., Fritz Stolte, William and Julius Henke, Joseph Brown, Otto Praesel, Fritz Dornhoefer, Fritz Voss, Fritz Helmeke, Carl Pieser and Joseph Pelzel.
T. J. Eiland, M. Morrison, a Mr. Strader of Alabama, and Mrs. Frank and Joe Dockall were of Czechoslovakian descent.
Mr. Fritz Voss donated the land for a one-room, one-teacher school in the mid 1870ís, which was then District No. 26. In 1895 it became District 16, which it still remains. The first trustees were J. C. King, T. J. Eiland and H. J. Alford. In 1910 it became a two-teacher school. Another room was added to the original building. In 1929 a new, modern, three-room school building was erected, and three teachers were employed. On July 6, 1949, it consolidated with the Rockdale Public School System. The last trustees were C. L. Eiland and John Timmerman.
In earlier days the community had a post office. It was called Fletcher. A cotton gin was owned and operated by Fritz Dornhoefer, Sr. The gin was purchased later by Frank Dockall who also owned a grocery store and a dance hall. In the early 1920ís the store was sold to John Timmerman and was operated by his son, Walter Timmerman. Also another grocery store and garage were owned by Emil Dockdall. These places of business ceased operation in the late 1930ís.
There is also a cemetery at Gay Hill. Its name is the Davison Cemetery.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 97)
Gay Hill was located on U.S. Highway 79, about 7-miles west of Rockdale in southern Milam County.
The date of its establishment is uncertain, but it is said to have been founded by German settlers. In the 1870s Fritz Voss gave land for a school there.
A post office called Fletcher operated at Gay Hill from 1898 to 1904. In 1903 the community had two separate one-teacher schools, one for 60 white students and one for 13 black students. The Gay Hill schools were consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949.
In the early 20th Century the community also had a garage, grocery, dance hall, and cotton gin, but they had all closed by the 1930s. The 1988 county highway map showed no evidence of the community.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.