Elm Ridge is located on U.S. Highway 190, about 4-miles west of Cameron in central Milam County.
It was probably established after the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway built through the area in 1881. The community was named for Elm Creek. In 1903 the settlement had a school with two teachers and 80 students. The school and a few scattered houses were shown at the site on the 1941 county highway map. The community's population was reported as 25 in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.