Duncan is an agricultural community 12-miles northwest of Rockdale. It was named for the donors of two acres of land, George and Elizabeth (Bettie) Duncan, where the first schoolhouse was built in 1892. It was located on a hillside north of Alligator Creek, in Milam County.
This school building had one room only. It was equipped with a blackboard and double desks in which the students sat. The attendance grew to about sixty. Two teachers were employed.
After a few years of this crowded situation, a new building was needed. In order to receive State Aid and approval, in 1917 the site was moved to level ground upon a hill. One acre of land was donated and one acre of land was purchased. With increase space, Christmas programs, home talent plays and other programs the school building furnished an entertainment place for the young people.
During the early 1920ís a union Sunday School was held in the afternoon.
A Presbyterian preacher from Sharp held a series of serves one summer. Young people came from surrounding communities.
Ten grades were taught until 1931 when the high school was consolidated with the Sharp school. Students living south of Alligator Creek went to San Gabriel. In the mid 1940ís all the other grades and a teacher went to Sharp. Finally the building was torn down and moved to Sharp.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 93)
Duncan is located near Alligator Creek, about 12-miles northwest of Rockdale in western Milam County, was named for the Duncan family, who settled in the area in 1879.
A school was built there in 1892 on land donated by George and Elizabeth Duncan. The school had two teachers and 46 students in 1903. High school students from Duncan were sent to Sharp in the late 1920s, and the rest of the schools were consolidated with the Sharp district in the early 1930s. There was no evidence of the Duncan community on the 1941 county highway map.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.