Detmold is located near Farm Road 486, about 4-miles north of Thorndale in western Milam County.
Early settlers in the area were of German descent. Detmold had a one-teacher school with 38 students in 1903. A church, a school, several businesses, and scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in 1941. The Detmold school was consolidated with the Thorndale Independent School District in 1946. Detmold, which was named on county highway maps in the 1980s, was still listed as a community in 1990.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.