Conoley was located on Farm Road 486, about 4-miles southeast of Thorndale in southwestern Milam County.
It was named for Malcolm Campbell Conoley, a Presbyterian minister who came to the area in 1859. The community became a voting precinct in 1875. A church, a school, and a few scattered houses marked its location on county highway maps in 1941. The school was consolidated with the Thorndale Independent School District in 1946. Only the church and a cemetery appeared in 1988.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.