Cone was located on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, about 10-miles southeast of Cameron in central Milam County.
It was named for Robert Newton Cone, who moved to the area from Alabama after the Civil War. The community had a post office from 1884 to 1886 and a one-teacher school for 22 students as late as 1903. The Cone school was consolidated with the Hoyte school district in 1918. By the 1940s no evidence of Cone was shown on the county highway map.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 4 March 2003.