Big Lump was a former lignite mining community on the Missouri Pacific Railroad 4-miles west of Milano.
Big Lump had a Mexican Catholic Church. This building stood across the International and Great Northern Railroad tracks from the Big Lump stores. Big Lump had a post office. C. K. Stribling and Guy Clymore had charge of the post office.
Sam Taylor was superintendent of the Big Lump Coal Mine. The coal community also operated a commissary where the employees bought their supplies. Guy Clymore was foreman of the Big Lump mine and was accidentally killed by an International and Great Northern switch engine on March 16, 1927.
There was a cotton gin at Big Lump. It was built in the early 1900ís and operated several years.
SOURCE: Marshall, Ida Jo (ed.), Rockdale Centennial: A History of Rockdale, Texas, 1874-1974. Rockdale, TX: Rockdale Reporter, 1974. (p. 90)
Big Lump was a lignite-mining community on the International-Great Northern Railroad located about 4-miles west of Milano in southeastern Milam County.
A post office opened there in 1912. In 1914 Big Lump had a cotton gin, a general store, and as many as 400 residents, as well as the lignite mine. The increase in oil and gas production in Texas nearly eliminated the lignite market in the 1920s. The post office at Big Lump was discontinued in 1924, and most residents moved away. No evidence of the community remained on county highway maps in 1988.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 2 Dec 2006.