Ad Hall is located on Farm Road 466, about 6-miles west of Cameron in western Milam County.
The post office, named for early settler Adam J. Hall, was opened in 1874, and the community became a voting precinct in 1880. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway passed within a half mile of Ad Hall when its track was built through the area in 1881. The community enjoyed a brief period of prosperity in the 1880s, when it had a cotton gin, a gristmill, three churches, a district school, and 200 residents.
In the 1890s, however, the population fell to thirty-five. The post office was discontinued in 1912, and by the 1930s only fifteen residents were reported. A school, a business, and several scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in 1948. The school closed in 1958, and the students were sent to Cameron. A church and two cemeteries were all that appeared on county maps in 1988.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956); Milam County Heritage Preservation Soc., Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984); Handbook of Texas On-Line
Created on 15 Feb 2001 and last revised on 2 Dec 2006.